Chapter History

Celebrating 45 Years of Service to the Howard County Community!

The Columbia (MD) Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was chartered in 1971, just four years after the new town of Columbia was established in Howard County, Maryland. Delta was the first African-American sorority or fraternity to start a chapter in Howard County, and is one of the largest Pan Hellenic chapters in Howard County.

The chapter's 22 founding members were: Olivia Alexander, Hazel Braxton, Doris Bright, Mary Carter, Shirley Colvin, Edna Davis, Katherine Davis, Virginia Edwards, Ruth Felton, Janice Fisher, Marion Graves, Carolyn Harp, Alice Haskins, Annette Johnson, Gilda Lewis, Mae Lucas, Carol Parham, Suzanne Price, Rosalyn Scarborough, Harriet Tootle, Aurora Trigg, and Celonia Walden.

Columbia (MD) Alumnae is the 404th Chapter, chartered on June 21, 1971 by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. The national sorority was founded on January 13, 1913 at Howard University in Washington, D.C., and now has more than 200,000 members in chapters around the world.